[Building Sakai] Checksum errors with maven 2.2.1

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 14 07:27:08 PDT 2012

Hi

See inline

On 03/14/2012 04:14 PM, Matthew Jones wrote:
> FYI: These checksum errors have been around since 2009
>
> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17441

The errors I'm seeing are on current snapshots and weren't giving errors
till recently

> Some of these were actual regressions with Maven deploying artifacts,
> specifically 2.2.0 where files were uploaded twice and they produced
> incorrect checksums on the server
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4235
>
> They had interesting workarounds for it that we never used. I think
> it's possible that some of the new artifacts deployed to sonatype were
> using this old version of maven. I know I had an option checked under
> the deploy (which was the default) which said "Assign unique versions
> to snapshots", but then in the description it says "To the best of my
> knowledge, this is almost never a useful option especially for CI
> servers like Jenkins.". So I have been going through and trying to
> clean that up as well, but it's lower priority to getting the next
> release out. This might have also confused maven 2?

The unique version won't match as far as I know, certainly not in maven
2. It looks quite different to a standard maven version.

> Noah added a checksum ignore to the master a few months ago.
> It's*possible* that this 'ignore' policy is an option only available
> in Maven 3, which is why it's working better in Maven 3? I'm not sure
> otherwise unless the client has some regression?

Please can we not go the ingnore checksum route if at all possible? I
makes maven proxing near impossible and builds for those of use behind
proxies near impossible too (as a proxy error message can get saved. We
will get lots of hard to verify errors about invalid artifacts.  This is
asside from making build times much longer.

We should aim to be stricter about checksums not more lax.