[Building Sakai] Checksum errors with maven 2.2.1

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Mar 14 07:14:09 PDT 2012

FYI: These checksum errors have been around since 2009

Some of these were actual regressions with Maven deploying artifacts,
specifically 2.2.0 where files were uploaded twice and they produced
incorrect checksums on the server
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4235

They had interesting workarounds for it that we never used. I think it's
possible that some of the new artifacts deployed to sonatype were using
this old version of maven. I know I had an option checked under the deploy
(which was the default) which said "Assign unique versions to snapshots",
but then in the description it says "To the best of my knowledge, this is
almost never a useful option especially for CI servers like Jenkins.". So I
have been going through and trying to clean that up as well, but it's lower
priority to getting the next release out. This might have also confused
maven 2?

Noah added a checksum ignore to the master a few months ago. It's*possible*
that this 'ignore' policy is an option only available in Maven 3, which is
why it's working better in Maven 3? I'm not sure otherwise unless the
client has some regression?

I'm guessing that to really fix this we'd have to have something verify/fix
the old checksums and ensure nothing is deployed in the future with maven
2.2.0. It's easy to do that in nexus since it has an option for it, would
need something custom written to do it on the old artifacts.