[Building Sakai] Lesson Builder 2.8.1 binary

Hedrick Charles hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 26 05:10:16 PDT 2012

1.3.x is of historical interest only. I wouldn't use it for new deploys, and I'd try to upgrade from it. Most current QA work is with 1.4, and that's the version that has been reviewed for accessibility. I will say that none of the fixes done since 1.3.x are what I'd call showstoppers, so I don't feel that bad about 1.3.x. But it's not being maintained unless someone finds a security problem or something really serious.

There is no difference between 1.4.x and trunk, which is 1.5. They differ only in that the pom files are turned for 2.9 or trunk, respectively. At one point 1.4 was frozen for the 2.9 release. But when release of 2.9 slipped, the community encouraged me to resync 1.4.x with trunk. 1.4 will freeze at some point further in the 2.9 release cycle.

I think 1.4.x is fairly stable at this point. We're using the most recent version in production. (In fact 1.4.x/trunk is simply the community copy of our production source.) The largest change recently was code to make sure that pointers to other tools update properly when content is moved between sites, even in the face of incomplete kernel support. If that fails, it should fail only for site copies, and so far testing looks good. Another recent change was to take account of an accessibility review. None of this looks to me like it's particularly dangerous.

Rather than doing tags, I've been describing each update in the release notes. That will let you see whether anything serious has been done recently. As long as you remember that revision you took, I can reproduce issues by checking out the same revision. There are tags from 1.3.x for each 2.9 tag, of course.

I'll probably do another 2.8.1 binary this week. That is done using a special pom file that is currently in 1.3.x, pom.xml.281.

I may freeze 1.4 again if I do anything really big. But nothing is on the horizon. The biggest project I am committed to is CC export, though I keep putting it off. That will be a separate feature that should have little effect on other code.

I also have some Angel import patches, but I haven't checked them in because it looks like we're working with a mutant version of Angel.