[Building Sakai] Sakai LMS - SIS Integration (Sakora Project)

Cris J Holdorph holdorph at unicon.net
Tue Jun 19 09:45:26 PDT 2012

Jaco,

* In terms of versions, the 1.5 tag was created against Sakai 2.6.2 (see
the pom file parent reference).  The 'trunk' pom appears to have last
been updated for Sakai 2.7.0.  My advice would be to begin with trunk,
but you might have to tweak a few things, like the top level pom.xml file.

* Those *files* are not required. EnrollmentSets are created behind the
scenes, though, as part of handling sectionMembership.csv. I.e. it's
true you need EnrollmentSet records in the db for correct functioning of
the CM APIs, but the brokenness of enrollmentSets.csv handing *doesn't*
mean you need to create them out of band.  I don't believe there's any
code that creates implied SectionMeetings. I don't believe this *breaks*
anything, but obviously the resulting Section Management UI is less
informative than it could be.

* EID is used throughout the CM APIs as an abbreviation for "Enterprise
ID". I.e. almost all the model classes in the CM API have a property of
that name. Those fields have basically the same semantics as the User
EID field, i.e. they serve as correlation IDs with the external system
of record.

* If your users use LDAP to authenticate, you probably do not need
people.csv.  You can use LDAP for authentication only (rather than
authN+attribs or attribs-only) in which case you'd need to load users
into Sakai through some other means, people.csv being one option. And
obviously if there are users that LDAP doesn't know about you'd need to
load those users into Sakai through these "other means". The main point
to made is, I think, that sakora-csv doesn't require that users
referenced by enrollment/membership records actually exist, either in
the Sakai db or an external directory, when those records are uploaded.

---- Cris J H