[Building Sakai] Official photos from a folder in Roster/Profile2

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Thu Jun 14 00:34:40 PDT 2012

Hi, Steve.

I'm not sure at all that this is what we need. The images that we want
to set in the folder are the official ones, not the ones that users can
upload by themselves. My idea is that these images are visible only to
teachers in the courses' Roster tool.

I can see that, beyond Profile2 1.4, this is allowed with:

profile2.official.image.enabled=true
profile2.official.image.source=url/provider

but we are not allowed to change LDAP schema and we don't want to have
official images accessible through URL.

Looking the code of that Oxford's patch, it seems to me that has been
made for automatically uploading profile's photos, but not the official
ones, am I wrong?

I think that the old Profile's functionality to make a folder as
official photos source was very simple and straightforward, specially
for testing purposes.

We are not in a hurry and I still think that this could be a valuable
JIRA request. Do you have any technical objection to this approach? If
you don't; I will fill a JIRA later.

Thanks and best regards.

Steve Swinsburg escribió:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> File system storage is not supported in profile2, however Oxford have just filed this Jira, which will allow you to import them, if you can get a URL to them.
>
> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PRFL-740
>
> So with this feature, you could make the images web accessible temporarily, then import them into profile2.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 13/06/2012, at 8:13, Daniel Merino <daniel.merino at unavarra.es> wrote:
>

>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> Time ago, we did several tests to load the student's official photos
>> from a folder into Roster tool. Setting the old Profile tool, it worked
>> fine. But in the end we did not manage to use it in our production
>> environment due to bureaucratic reasons.
>>
>> The old Profile's configuration needed the property
>> profile.photoRepositoryPath=<PATH> and some XML work.
>>
>> Now we have got back in this subject and, looking Profile2, it seems
>> that the two options for loading official photos are from URLs and from
>> LDAP. We can't use none of these options.
>>
>> So my question is: is it possible to use a folder containing official
>> photos in Profile2/Roster? If it is not, should I fill a JIRA with this
>> demand?
>>
>> Thanks and best regards.
>> --
>> Daniel Merino Echeverría
>> daniel.merino at unavarra.es
>> Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
>> Tfno: 948-168489 - Universidad Pública de Navarra.

Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
En teoría, no existe diferencia entre teoría y práctica; en la práctica
sí la hay.