[Building Sakai] video playing in sakai

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Sat Jun 9 21:22:16 PDT 2012

I agree with all of that. For a full video solution of lecture recordings
you probably want to look at something external at the moment. Lots of good
ideas there. I'm also keeping an eye on Octopus Video, which was built off
of a drupal module as well as Matterhorn which is a much bigger product.

However, if someone just wants to upload a short mp3 audio file or a video
clip and embed it into an announcement or something  Then the Strobe player
which is built into 2.9 Lesson Builder as well as the CKEditor movie plugin
will probably suffice. It is able to play (h264) mp4 video, mp3 audio, 3GPP
(mostly mobile) video, quicktime video and some other formats, which are
all pretty popular.

It's easy to port the CKEditor plugin back to 2.8 if you use CKEditor, as
it just involves copying a directory and updating the ckeditor.launch.js
file. The strobe player workflow even works better for embedding a youtube
private/unlisted video (that only you know the url of) if you can't easily
convince someone to convert it to a format it can play (like wmv).