[Building Sakai] video playing in sakai

Ed Garay garay at uic.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:56:41 PDT 2012

Why do you think you do not want to use video off multimedia streaming platforms like Kaltura, ShareStream, YouTube or Vimeo? What are your concerns about using these kinds of video delivery solutions?

Sakai, like Moodle and all other LMS environments are not designed to transcode, compress, store, manage and optimally distribute digital video. Digital Video files, even when compressed, are huge files; they really belong on specialized multimedia streaming servers, from which they can simply be linked to and played back off a given LMS site page, as if the video content was indeed stored on the LMS.

Greetings from Chicago.

Ed Garay
Assistant Director for Academic Computing
Director, UIC Instructional Technology Lab
University of Illinois at Chicago

www.accc.uic.edu/itl
www.twitter.com/garay

**** Ubiquitously social...