[Building Sakai] Sakai directory layout for Tomcat 7

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 17:58:09 PDT 2012

I can confirm that taking everything from the separate classloader directories and dumping them all into /lib works - I tried it a while ago.

The issue is that the assemblies are all setup to deploy to shared/lib so jars still end up there.

So for us to use the native TC7 layout, all assemblies need to change, but that isn't a big job. The support is already there in the Sakai maven plugin, it just needs to be activated with a profile, eventually made the default.

There was talk at the TCC meeting in Atlanta about using a different directory for Sakai to make things easier for developers, (ie /sakai/lib or something) and have everything deploy into there, since you can no longer just blow away /lib like you could for /shared/lib, there is vital Tomcat stuff in the lib directory. I am less of a fan of that since we would still need catalina.properties to be adjusted which is what we are trying to avoid. There was also talk of adding an undeploy' goal like we had in Maven 1. That would be ideal for cleaning out Tomcat, though I'm not sure how it would handle the binary overlays...

cheers,
Steve