[Building Sakai] Sakai directory layout for Tomcat 7

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jul 17 08:42:15 PDT 2012

We had discussed it, and I think the question was more about whether or not
it would work for webdav than anything, and getting someone to invest
(likely significant time) to test webdav. This was a big piece that was
broken in Tomcat 7 to begin with, and required a split deployment and a lot
of effort to maintain as it is. (Because it requires different libraries
for Tomcat 5.5 verses Tomcat 7)

Currently Sakai deploys some library files to: server/lib, common/lib and
shared/lib. The ones outside shared/lib are
dav-common, dav-server and kernel-common. The dav files actually have
classes in them, the kernel-common only has the log4j.properties file.

Back in tomcat 5.5, these files when placed in each of these class loaders
all had a special parent->child hierarchy. (
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html ) . In
Tomcat 6, this was made to no longer be the default (everything in /lib
defined as the shared.loader) but still easy to change by modifying 3 lines
in a configuration file (as you mentioned).

I haven't heard of anyone that treid taking all the files that were
deployed to all 3 locations, putting them into the shared loader and seeing
if everything works. It's quite possible these files are still needed *in*
the common or server class-loaders, so having one directory may never work.

Anyone is free to try it out though. I wouldn't consider changing the
deployment location for a few tools as big of a problem as thoroughly
testing webdav. (Even if the criteria was that it just passed litmus)

I suppose it could be nice, but ideally I think most people are going to
want to opt to modify this *catalina.properties *anyway to setup a split
catalina.home/catalina.base configuration for production, and for those
that use the demo it's already done.