[Building Sakai] Weird issue ordering by Lastname

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Thu Jan 26 01:44:54 PST 2012

Hi everybody.

One of our teachers has reported us a weird issue we hadn't noticed before.

Given two students, whose lastnames are "Martinez Torcal" and "Martin
Troncoso", these lastnames are written in the LASTNAME field of the
SAKAI_USER table.

Ordering in the database client, in excel or any other application, the
logical alphabetical order is first "Martin Troncoso" and after
"Martinez Torcal", just because the blank space is counted as a character.

However, in our Sakai 2.7.1 with kernel 1.1.13 they are ordered at Site
Info, Assignments, etc. just the opposite: first "Martinez Torcal" and
after "Martin Troncoso". The same issue happens with LDAP users.

I have searched at JIRA, but I haven't found any clue about this. Also,
I have looked at BaseUserDirectoryService in the Kernel code:

http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel-impl/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/user/impl/BaseUserDirectoryService.java?view=markup

but the getSortName() method doesn't seem to do nothing wrong.

Please, could you tell me if this problem has been reported and solved
in the past?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
Donde todos piensan igual nadie piensa mucho. (Walter Lippmann)