[Building Sakai] No data in Academic term

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Jan 12 12:16:48 PST 2012

I agree,

The tool would be pretty 'easy' to write, but would still take quite a few
hours of a developers time to actually do it and integrate it with Sakai
(maybe a week?). The work to modify the database tables is so trivial that
even if all this time was added up it would probably just *almost* come
close to the development time of a new tool.

And as Mark said, many institutions that might have development effort to
do this generally have an external provider
for CourseManagementAdministration and are pulling the academic terms from
a separate source other than this table anyway. It was kind of just put in
as an 'sample' with the default OOTB provider. Generally if you're at the
level of setting up courses and academic terms then you're a more advanced
user and can run some database queries anyway.

Though, it seems like this is a good project for anyone to try. :) Like
Mark I'd also written a 'sample' course management Admin when I was testing
to see if ZK (http://www.zkoss.org/) would be a good framework for rapidly
developing applications. I personally really liked it, and wrote this up in
few days:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/umich/jonespm/zk/

However it was nearly 2-3 years ago, I haven't tried to run it since and it
may or may not work with the latest version of ZK. Back then the license
was less compatible and the widgets didn't work with Webkit. But they went
to lgpl somewhere along the way and fixed many bugs so it became much more
attractive. Hooking something like this up to RequestFilter, doing an
'isAdmin' check and putting in a tool registration probably wouldn't be too
much work. Even if that's not desired, all the code there for
adding/removing/checking academic terms is in Java, if someone wanted to
write something in wicket or spring mvc archetypes for a fun side project.
[1] The ZK widgets were really slick though.

http://www.gmjjavadesigns.com/content/sakai-spring-maven-archetype-v10

-Matthew