[Building Sakai] Null locale in english

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Thu Aug 30 05:59:42 PDT 2012

Hi everybody.

A few days ago, I wrote to the list about an ResourceLoader issue. I
thought that it was a single tool's issue (bbb-tool) but it seems that
it relates to the kernel-util package.

On Sakai 2.7.1 with Kernel 1.1.13, I have edited the kernel-util's
ResourceLoader.java class and I have added this line in the getLocale()
method:

public Locale getLocale()
{
    (...)
    System.out.println("RETURNED LOCALE: "+loc.toString());

    return loc;
}

When I use any language (i.e. "fr_FR" or "es_ES"), the right code is
returned in Tomcat's logs, but when I choose en_US, en_UK or en, a null
locale is returned. It seems that all the tools show default properties
when they get a null locale, so they work fine because default
properties are in english, but bbb-tool doesn't do this and shows
Tomcat's language properties (spanish, in this case).

Changing Tomcat's language to english language works fine for bbb-tool,
but I would like to solve this without changing that. I would like that,
if I choose en_US in preferences, locale could be en_US.

I'm working with CentOS 5.8 with server language LANG=es_ES.UTF-8

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.