[Building Sakai] Sakai Upgrade

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 11:55:13 PDT 2012

Hi Phil,

If someone hasn't already mentioned it I would perform the upgrade on
a staging system and run some tests after the upgrade.

It has been my experience that the upgrade scripts don't always
execute with out any issues.

Don't worrying about the code as that is more straight forward (i.e.
just deploy the the version you want to upgrade to as Steve
mentioned).

First grab all the upgrade scripts from
<sakai-src>/reference/docs/conversion/ relates to the upgrade you need
to perform, from a 2.6.0 to a 2.8.2 on mysql I would grab:
sakai_2_6_0-2_6_1_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_6_2-2_6_3_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_7_0_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_7_0-2_7_1_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_7_1-2_7_2_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_8_0_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_8_0_mysql_hbm_indexes.sql
sakai_2_8_0-2_8_1_mysql_conversion.sql
sakai_2_8_1-2_8_2_mysql_conversion.sql

The load a recent copy of your database and run all the scripts above
in that order. When a script fails (which it will) you will need to
figure out why the SQL statement failed and if possible fix it, In the
end I would produce one script that when run on your database runs
without error. So this process will be very iterative until you get a
flawless script.

Then deploy the new sakai code (in this example 2.8.2 would be used)
and attach it to your recently upgraded db. If you have new tools
added you may at some point have to enable autoddl to create the
tables for those new tools.

Now your testing begins, the more testing you do the more confident
you'll feel that everything was upgraded correctly. Make sure you
create new sites and well as interact with existing sites when
testing.

I've not covered everything but this serves as a general idea for upgrading.

Good Luck,
Earle

PS Let us know how it all went!