[Building Sakai] problem with blackboard import

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:47:47 PDT 2012

Chuck,

The 'sole purpose' of that deploy pom in Profile2 is not to make your life difficult by deploying 'incorrect versions' of the libraries. As Matt noted, its a helper pom to deploy additional tomcat overlays to ensure your environment has what it needs in a small build, the versions of which come from master. Unless you go and deploy things manually with different versions that don't match what master thinks it is deploying, then everything matches. If you are deploying different versions, then I'd recommend adjusting your deploy practice and bumping the version in master so that other tools don't bind to the incorrect APIs.

It also doesn't delete anything itself directly, it deploys a Tomcat assembly which in turn deletes the old components directory. But as I said above, if your versions matched, you wouldn't have this issue.

I don't know where you are getting your version information from, but it is incorrect. From my analysis of each of the 1.5 beta tags, they each have the correct b0x version in them and are bound to the correct b06 parent.

Profile2 is an independent release. As such it does not specify Sakai versions, that is inherited from the parent. The deploy pom is also not included in the binary overlay, so unless you are making local changes to profile2, then you don't need the source.

That said, the deploy pom is from the legacy days when common was moving faster so needed to be kept in line. I would accept a Jira that called for its removal since it is no longer necessary, though could be converted to a cafe profile instead.

thanks,
Steve