[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.8.2, Windows 7 x64 and the Tomcat 5.5.35 service vs. startup.bat

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 21:39:40 PDT 2012

Hi Jeremy,

You will start tomcat via the startup.bat or via services but not both.
Choose the one you prefer and stick to that. There are pros and coins to
both.

It worth mentioning that 90% or more of sakai deployments are on Linux so
if your question is platform specific your mileage will vary.

A tip on windows, make sure you don't install any software with spaces in
the path names.

Any integrations like spell checker you will probably need to install
windows equivalents of those Linux binaries like Aspell.

Correct if I am wrong but there is no official windows qa servers, so not
having windows tested regularly you may run into issues from time to time.

Forgive me if it sounds like I am discouraging the use of windows, but I
feel better that you have the facts up front. There are a few windows
deployments and I would encourage you reach out to them.

Best of luck,
Earle