[Building Sakai] profile 2 cookies

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Apr 26 16:40:05 PDT 2012

This sounds like these cookie uses you mentioned (to remember form fields
to aid in short term navigation) would be acceptable. One example given of
a "strictly necessary" cookie is:

"The only exception to this rule is if what you are doing is ‘strictly
necessary’ for a service requested by the user. This exception is a narrow
one but might apply, for example, to a cookie you use to ensure that when a
user of your site has chosen the goods they wish to buy and clicks the ‘add
to basket’ or ‘proceed to checkout’ button, your site ‘remembers’ what they
chose on a previous page. You would not need to get consent for this type
of activity." -
http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/advice_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.pdf

This feature isn't improving anything else on the site other than this
specific function, (remembering what they chose on a previous page so that
the current and previous page function correctly.

I think if we wanted a more global feature that implemented
better navigation across all of Sakai like "Do you want to allow this
system to store form data to improve back button navigation". (Doubtful but
just throwing it out there) But if this ever happened it would be in a user
preference panel or something where consent would be granted.