[Building Sakai] Analyzing and finding metrics in sakai data.

Chris Ribble cribble at uwindsor.ca
Tue Apr 17 12:51:53 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

It has recently been discussed amongst our group that we don't seem to
have a solid analytical assessment on how our Sakai system is being used.
While brainstorming possible ways to quantify the use of the system as a
whole and in parts we decided to put out a feeler to see if anyone else
has done something similar.

We have some ideas on how to implement these types of measurements but
want to see if others are capturing areas that we may not be. So far we've
come up with a few things we would like to measure:

Tool usage - How many students use a tool in a site, how many instructors
have the tool in their site and is it useful( We also aren't sure how to
define 'use', is it a certain number of assignments, or a certain number
of posts in a forum etc ?)
        --> Spawning from that we will pull in information from our
registrar system to cross with demographics to find out where to focus
training.
Peak system access dates/times - to help with scheduling maintenance and
upgrades.
Tool activity - how busy or load intensive is a tool.

We're really only scratching the surface at this point, but I figured
seeing what the community had to offer would also help us get our ball
rolling.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Ribble