[Building Sakai] Getting sensible data out of the gradebook API

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Thu Apr 12 21:35:21 PDT 2012

Yes this has been a general annoyance for a long time, we've tried all
sorts of things, even copying code to deal with it.

If you are using gradebook2, which doesn't expose this stuff in its
java services either, I have found a work around which is to call the
gb2 rest services.  Because you can get anything that way.  This is
how we are doing our gradebook exports now, gb2 rest services and
sakai soap services, and you can do most thing you need that way.

It involves a little trickery but works great if you use gb2 and want
more details I can point you to another thread on that list with
details.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Course grade is fine, that returns the letter.
>
> Those methods you list are what I am doing at the moment, it's quite tedious
> though.
>
> I need to manually get all 'assignments' for each site (where an assignment
> could be an assignment from Assignments tool, a Quiz from Samigo, another
> gradeable object from another app, or a manually created one - could be
> named better), tally up the total points for each, then figure out
> percentages etc. It would be nice if there was an API method for that!
>
> cheers.
>

> On 13/04/2012, at 1:21 PM, Matthew Jones wrote:
>
> In GradebookService?
> http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/edu-services/1.1.3/apidocs/org/sakaiproject/service/gradebook/shared/GradebookService.html
>
> getCalculatedCourseGrade(gid)
> getAssignment(gid,aid).getPoints ?
>
> http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/edu-services/1.1.3/apidocs/org/sakaiproject/service/gradebook/shared/Assignment.html
>
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Steve Swinsburg
> <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a bit of difficulty getting sensible data out of the grade book
>> API.
>>
>> Basically, I want to be able to get the total points for each student, as
>> well as their percentage. I can get the course grade (A, B, F etc) and
>> overridden course grade no problems, but any other data I get out does not
>> match what is in the UI.
>>
>> All data I want to export is in the attached screenshot (ignore the
>> names).
>>
>> I do not see methods in the GradeboookService API to get the Points or the
>> Percentage attached to a course grade. Is this possible?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Steve
>>
>> API docs for 2.8:
>> http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/edu-services/1.1.3/apidocs/index.html
>>

>> <Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 12.50.34 PM.png>

John Bush
602-490-0470