[Building Sakai] New Developer

Brandon Davie brandondavie at mckeelschools.com
Thu Sep 8 12:43:56 PDT 2011

Good afternoon,

I am new to the development world of Sakai. I did investigate Sakai last year, but my school system decided to push it to the back burner for a while there. I'm now back and we're interested in using Sakai. Our desired customizations and additions include,

1) Integration with our SSO CAS
2) Automation of course creation, enrollment, and updating from student transfers or withdrawals
3) Quick & simple theme to fit it in with our other web services

I have been tasked with making the above happen. I don't have extensive working experience with Java but I have taken enough college courses to know which way is up and which way is down and learn quickly. I have followed the instructions available on the Programmer's Cafe regarding setting up a development environment on my Mac. I've also successfully built and deployed Sakai 2.8.0 from source.

My next goal is to build a simple tool within Sakai to help facilitate my learning. The the first problem I've run into is the last step on the setup walkthrough:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Development+Environment+Setup+Walkthrough

I am using Eclipse Indigo and the "Build All" option is disabled. What does that mean?

Finally, is there an updated version of this walkthrough of creating the "simplest possible Sakai tool?" I am using Java 1.6, MySQL 5.1, Tomcat 5.5, Maven 2.0 and Sakai 2.8.0's source.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/The+Simplest+Possible+Sakai+Tool

Thanks,

Brandon Davie
Programmer