[Building Sakai] Groups causing slowness in Samigo

Paul Dagnall dagnalpb at notes.udayton.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:38:53 PDT 2011

Hi
Sakai 2.6. We have one professor who has a site with 206 members. This
causes a load time of 6 minutes for the Total Scores page when the
assessment is released to groups. The page loads in 10 seconds if the
assessment does not use groups. Big difference!

When I debug to determine where the slowdowns are, I see two places:

Class: BaseSite.java, Method: getGroupsWithMember
This is the biggest slowdown. The method is called once for each member of
the site and it takes something like 2 seconds each, which ends up being a
lot with 200 members. When I compare this to the latest community code it
looks current. Could I be missing an index in the db?

Class: TotalScoreListener.java, Method: prepareAgentResult
This one affects the slowness less than the other. I have made a
customization to this but I'm fairly certain it couldn't noticeably effect
performance. Other than that it's the 2.6 version.

I saw ticket SAK-13312 <https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13312> but
it looks like we have these changes. What about this one though?
SAK-6793<https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-6793>Should it have
been closed as a duplicate or is it still a problem?

Has anyone else heard of this issue occurring with large amounts of site
members and assessments released to groups?

Is there some place I can view the DB schema to see all the indexes I should
have?

Thank you!

Paul Dagnall
Application Developer & Administrator