[Building Sakai] Talis Aspire

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Nov 11 08:53:51 PST 2011

Ian,

I would really encourage you to start with IMS Learning Tools Interoperability as the first integration.   Building a Sakai tool is difficult at the beginning and then becomes a maintenance nightmare that requires regular tweaking to track Sakai versions as they go forward.   I cringe each time we go through (yet another) round of "how do I get BBB working with Sakai version a.b.c??".

If after you have a great LTI implementation, and you see some adoption, and folks get excited want a more intimate connection, you could develop as specialized bit of code to let your tool get at and modify increasing amounts of Sakai data.  It is generally better to extend LTI than to build an all new tool.   Blackboard has a similar approach where you make a building block by extending the LTI capabilities already resent in Blackboard so you don't have to remake the SSO part.

/Chuck