[Building Sakai] JForum 2.8.1 synoptic tool with Sakai 2.7.1 questions

Walters, Cynthia (cmw6s) cmw6s at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri May 20 13:52:01 PDT 2011

Hello:
We are building Sakai 2.7.1 tag and upgrading to JFourm 2.8.1 (from JForum 2.7.1).  I'd like to know if I'm on the right track to enable the JForum synoptic tool?  Has anyone already done this?

It appears that I may only need to include it in 'sakai.properties', adding it to our current list of 'wsetup.home.toolids.*' (as the 6th tool), as seen below -- it seems to mostly work with only this change (for a newly created site):

# Auto-add synoptic tools to Home (SAK-16747) for default and course sites
wsetup.home.toolids.count=6
wsetup.home.toolids.1=sakai.iframe.site
wsetup.home.toolids.2=sakai.synoptic.announcement
wsetup.home.toolids.3=sakai.summary.calendar
wsetup.home.toolids.4=sakai.synoptic.messagecenter
wsetup.home.toolids.5=sakai.synoptic.chat
wsetup.home.toolids.6=sakai.synoptic.jforum.tool
wsetup.home.toolids.course.count=6
wsetup.home.toolids.course.1=sakai.iframe.site
wsetup.home.toolids.course.2=sakai.synoptic.announcement
wsetup.home.toolids.course.3=sakai.summary.calendar
wsetup.home.toolids.course.4=sakai.synoptic.messagecenter
wsetup.home.toolids.course.5=sakai.synoptic.chat
wsetup.home.toolids.course.6=sakai.synoptic.jforum.tool

Is that all there is to it, in Sakai 2.7.x?  It seems to work well with a newly created site -- although it does not get removed from the site Home page when the 'Discussion and Private Messages' (jforum) tool is removed from the site...?   Do others see this issue?

I ask to confirm because there is also code in SiteAction.java about the synoptic tools, so wondering if I also need to enhance that code to include the jforum synoptic tool?  I updated it but see no difference in behavior from simply adding to the 'sakai.properties' list of toolids.   I see that the synoptic tool does not appear for existing sites that have the 'Discussion and Private Messages' tool.  If I delete and re-add D&PM, the synoptic tool appears but is positioned off-screen below the Site Information Display (column 1).  What is the recommended way to add the synoptic JForum tool to existing sites that already include the 'Discussion and Private Messages' tool, and have it show correctly in the 2nd column?

Also, Sakai SAK-16747 notes possible adjustments to "!worksite" site template?  Is this needed?

Any help about what to change to get this working for a) new sites, and b) exisitng sites is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any guidance,
Cynthia Walters
University of Virginia