[Building Sakai] sakai.X-UA-Compatible settings in production

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri May 20 09:30:29 PDT 2011

The recommendations for Sakai 2.5 & 2.6 was for IE7. This was just provided
via a patch. IE8 mostly worked but had some patches that weren't backported.

2.5 & 2.6 were recommended to be patched and set to *IE=EmulateIE7*(SAK-16074)

For 2.7 and 2.8, a patch was committed as you mentioned (KNL-697) because
some features were completely broken by IE9 and not fixable in time to get
the release out. (Mostly around FCKEditor)

2.7&2.8 were by default set to *IE=EmulateIE8*

Whether your choose IE7 or IE8 would depend on your users (if you have
google analytics) and local testing. Both should be equally compatible.
Hopefully by 2.9 we can switch to CKEditor by default and have all other IE9
related issues fixed. But then they'll have IE10 out so we'll probably still
need an *IE=EmulateIE9*. :)

SAK-20283 [1] is an umbrella jira for IE9 issues. It still had 4
outstanding. All of these were temporarily resolved with this flag.

[1] https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20283