[Building Sakai] Updated Sakai 2.8 Portal Video

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Mar 17 09:52:11 PDT 2011

On Mar 17, 2011, at 9:21 PM, Adam Marshall wrote:

> Chuck
>
> This looks fabulous!
>
> I have but one question: what is the relationship with the "My Active Sites" tab.
>
> Is the idea to do away with both the "-more-" drop down list and "My Active Sites" tab and replace with your new interface?
>
> adam

Adam,

That is the current idea (subject to comments and ideas).

The drawer code in the new portal is actually borrowed somewhat from the DHTMLMore feature and then of course we altered it a lot.   I am *hoping* that the sites drawer works well enough to get away from all of the different DHTMLMoreSites approaches.

But at the same time, I think that lots of folks have put a lot of love into their own 'drawers' that are currently their 'Active Sites' or 'More Sites'.   The place in the new markup for the little "More" drop-down would easily allow it to be replaced by someone's exiting (likely slightly tweaked)  local 'active sites' implementation.    And we are not taking out the DHTMLMoreSites support from the preferences tool.   In a sense, we can think of the new slide-out as the new default "More" that comes turned on by default and if you wanted you own, you would turn the default drawer off and put in your own drawer like in 2.8 and earlier.

And of course if you revery back to the old portal - the drawer will work exactly as it always has.

So this is a long-winded way of saying that nothing is ruled out and my hope is that plenty of sites will stop using DHTMLMore and use the default whilst those sites with highly customized DHTMLMore setups might feel the need to bring those forward to the new portal in one form or another.

And of course since Matthew is a portal committer - he is welcome to fix this all up in a pattern you find suitable starting now.  All the code is live and in color in a branch to be played with.  The portal code is nicely starting to settle down now.   I think that we will be moving from bunches of new features  to cleanup and proper factoring of some of the CSS and Javascript.  I need to move my energy to floating chat and LessonBuilder breadcrumbs in the portal since I want things substantially complete before the LA confernce.

I would love to hear your thoughs as to what we should do.

/Chuck