[Building Sakai] New Sakai 2.9 Portal Trial Run - Video / Demo Server

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 03:06:32 PDT 2011

Nice. I like the tool dropdowns and the presence relocation (where will
floating chat go though?).

What I'd like to see though is the most frequently changed bits of
profile2 moving with the user in a dropdown. It doesn't seem to make a
lot of sense to me to switch context fully to Profile2 just to update
your status or request a new connection (although with the formatted
profile you can request a connection directly from your tool UI.

Good work.

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 12/03/2011 14:49, csev wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a first prototype of the page from the design specifications
> that were developed by S791 (http://www.dr-chuck.com/si791-sak/) class
> and in particular Caitlin Holmes and Nikola Colllins.  This is
> just a first as-built prototype and comments on the prototype and
> design in general are encouraged.  The purpose of this work is to
> further stimulate design thinking.
>
> Confluence Page:
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PRTL/First+Prototype+-+2001-03-12
>
> Please put comments in the Confluence page so we can keep things together.
>
> You can play with the page at
>
> http://ec2-174-129-97-10.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8080/portal
>
> This page will only be up for a while
>
> Password: dude / sakaiger
>
> Or you can make your account or login with the standard admin password
>
> Demonstration Video: (4 Min) http://www.vimeo.com/20946741
>
> Notes:
>
> You Must Use FireFox - don't bother complaining about IE or Safari, we
> are moving quickly because we are stil in the design phase and we are
> making things look just good enough
>
> You can click to reveal a drop-down with direct-to-page navigation for
> your top sites
>
> New drawer-style "More" / "Active SItes" - with a JQuery search box -
> note that the box only searchers after three chars are entered (I
> probably will change that, it is annoying)
>
> Quick Link to My Workspace/Profiles (click on name) in the top bar
>
> Quick Link To Preferences from the to bar
>
> Change the expando feature to be a bit more obvious and simpler
>
> Copyright moved to a permanent bar near the bottom.
>
> Move presence to lower right and make it have a little number like
> FaceBook and you click to reveal.  The number is white is you are the
> only person and turns red if someone else is in the site.
>
> Preferences now has the first rumblings of a fluid-based tab reorder
> that allows you to set top tabs, order all tabs,  and hide tabs.  This
> is a preliminary tech sketch - the real design is still coming from
> Nik and Cait and will actually think through the combined feature set
> of Preferences, Membership and WorkSite Setup.  So don't be too
> critical of the new preferences tab ordering design because it in not
> really a design yet - just a tech demonstrator.  You are welcome to
> suggest comments etc and When Cait/Nik produce their design, they will
> also take comments.
>
> On a technical note, one of my goals was to reduce the number of
> request/response cycles for simple navigation actions.  In essence by
> providing shortcuts, we (hopefully) make it more convenient for the
> user, but also reduce server load.  Reducing server load is a hoped
> for side effect of this redesign.
>
> My technical schedule roadmap is to have this design nearly complete
> with the final touches discussed face to face at the June conference
> and then merging this into trunk shortly thereafter.  If you want to
> [...]

==================================
Adrian Fish
Software Engineer
Centre for e-Science