[Building Sakai] Has anyone played with http://redis.io/

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sat Mar 12 10:04:03 PST 2011

Have you done some research on the alternatives?

It seems like for facebook messaging they ended up going with hbase in
November 2010. If this is the intended goal using what they picked seems
like a good idea? It's a project developed as part of hadoop on top of
hadoop. It also seems to have quite a bit more more backing in that it's an
Apache project and I'd heard of it.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=454991608919
http://highscalability.com/blog/2010/11/16/facebooks-new-real-time-messaging-system-hbase-to-store-135.html

<http://highscalability.com/blog/2010/11/16/facebooks-new-real-time-messaging-system-hbase-to-store-135.html>Here
was a blog article on analysis between some other NoSQL databases
http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis

I'd done a few simple projects with mongodb but ended up just rewriting them
to mysql using the ideas presented by a FriendFeed developer who talked
about how he just used mysql to store schemaless data. [1]

What's really interesting about this post is it's really similar to how
Sakai stores most of it's data (in XML blobs). But instead of denormalizing
the blob into columns when he needed indexed searches on data in the blob,
he just made new tables for every value that needed to be indexed because
all entities were stored in the same table. Worked out pretty good.

Anyway, whatever is implemented should have some consideration for ease of
installation and deployment as well. Redis requires unix and make to install
the server. hbase/hadoop is in java. Some more stuff to think about I guess.

[1] http://bret.appspot.com/entry/how-friendfeed-uses-mysql