[Building Sakai] Quick Question about Samigo

Henry, Roger James rjhenry at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 11 10:23:10 PST 2011

Hi folks,

I have a quick question about Samigo. At my institution I've been tasked with writing up a mini-specification (from a functional perspective) on a couple of Samigo issues, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some perspective.

There are two issues ('wants'):

1.       Instructor wants to create several assessments and push grades from these many items to one item in the Gradebook;

2.       Instructor wants to create one assessment with unique settings for separate groups within a site, and push grades from this one assessment into one item in the Gradebook.
Use cases are provided below, but here are my three questions:

a.       From a dev point of view, are these truly separate issues, or two workflows that can be addressed with one dev 'fix'?

b.      If they ARE separate issues, which of the two would you prioritize for development first?

c.       If there IS one stone that could kill these two birds, what would it be?

Use Cases
Re 1:  Instructor Apple is teaching a Seminar in Instrumental Music where half the class are masters students and the other half are doctoral students. For the midterm, he creates two separate activities in Samigo: one of the masters students, and a different one (more difficult) for the doctoral students. Instructor Apple wants both of these items to push grades to the same item in the Gradebook.

Re 2: Professor Bartholomew is teaching an online class where the students live in three different time zones. She wants to deliver the exact same quiz (Quiz 1) which all students will access from 7:00 PM to 8:00PM in their local time zone. In Site Info, she creates three different groups, one for each time zone. In Samigo, she wants to set separate 'assessment released to' settings and 'delivery dates' for each group, without having to create a new instance of the assessment for each group.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Best,

Roger J. Henry

Instructional Technologies Consultant

Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning

Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education /

Indiana University Bloomington

Phone (812) 856-2617