[Building Sakai] alternative to webdav in sakai

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Mar 9 16:11:55 PST 2011

FTP really isn't that great of an idea and it doesn't get you much more that
webdav besides some browsers supporting a weird syntax for logging in and
others supporting non standard ways of uploading.

However, FTP is an insecure protocol, so whenever anyone logs in their
password will be available for anyone on the network to snoop. Very few
places provide regular ftp anymore on any service they actually desire to be
secure. You could look for a sftp library, but then you're not really
getting much of an advantage over webdav because everyone would have to
download a custom client. For webdav at least you can say "get cyberduck, it
works 99.9%".

I'd say the best thing if webdav is giving so many random problems is just
examine the user agent and deny anything that isn't Cyberduck. So then at
least people won't get random success and then the general campus solution
for all problems is "use cyberduck". It seems like some versions of some
OSes work better in different versions of Sakai than others, and it's nearly
impossible to keep up.

As far as JCR, that was an experiment that was never finished. The team that
was working on it went on to work on Sakai 3 and JCR and other ideas went
into the backend of that software. It is seems highly unlikely that JCR will
ever be part of Sakai 2.