[Building Sakai] alternative to webdav in sakai

Gao Jun gaojun at fudan.edu.cn
Wed Mar 9 15:47:29 PST 2011

Yes, it's a problem. In Fudan University, few people is familiar with
WebDAV. Many instructors and students ask us about how to use it.

So, in our plan, we're going to provide a FTP-based method to the users.

Here's our architecture:
1. Based on Apache FTP Server (http://mina.apache.org/ftpserver/), which
is a 100% pure Java FTP server.
2. Implement some interface of it, UserManager, FtpFile, etc... (about 3
interfaces). UserDirectoryService and ContentHostingService will help.
3. Making the custom FTP server as a tool in Sakai, and start it on
startup. If in cluster environment, only one Tomcat instance should take
the response. Maybe we'll add some attribute in sakai.properties like:
ftp.start=true

BTW.
According to the Content Hosting Project
(https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CHS/Roadmap+for+JCR+Migration),
a JCR based architecture will be used after Sakai 2.5. But I only find
it in kernel-impl-experimental pack in kernel-1.1.9 and failed to find
it in kernel-1.2.0. Has anyone used this feature?

On Mar,10, 2011 at 00:19, John Bush wrote:
> Over the years we've had continued problems with webdav.  The varying
> behaviors of different clients, the special authentication that
> doesn't play nice with SSO, and numerous other types of issues.  I'm
> beginning to think about alternatives that would allow for big bulk
> uploads that are more reliable.  Thinking about some type of browser
> plugin, flash or otherwise.  Has anyone else done some research into
> this already?
>
> --
> John Bush
> 602-490-0470