[Building Sakai] Sakai BasicSQLService - Can we add dbUpdate() Methods?

csev csev at umich.edu
Tue Jul 19 10:06:38 PDT 2011

Sakai's BasicSQL Service is missing the ability to handle UPDATE statements.  It contains a sequence methods:

dbRead() - Returns a record set
dbWrite() - Returns true/false based on success of the SQL statement
dbInsert() - Similar to dbWrite - but returns the generated auto-increment key.

Generally UPDATE statements are done with dbWrite() - it returns a true/false indicating if it worked or failed.

Sometimes UPDATE semantics need to know the number of records affected in order to know if the UPDATE accomplished the desired results.

As best I can tell, there is no way to accomplish this using the current BasisSQLService.

I would like to add dbUpdate() methods that are like dbWrite except that they return an integer number of records affected rather than a true/false return.

Thoughts / comments / redirects?

/Chuck