[Building Sakai] Updates to the Sakai Maven Archetype (including a new name)

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 17:00:59 PDT 2011

Hi all,

A quick update that I've released a new version of the archetype for Sakai. I've renamed the artifactId to sakai-wicket-maven-archetype so that we can accommodate for developers creating archetypes that best represent how to create a Sakai app in other Java frameworks.

The command to use the archetype to generate a project is now slightly different:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.sakaiproject.maven-archetype -DarchetypeArtifactId=sakai-wicket-maven-archetype -DarchetypeVersion=1.0 -DarchetypeRepository=https://source.sakaiproject.org/maven2/

The version is still 1.0. To save confusion, the old command will not work anymore.

I also tidied a few bits and pieces up. Maven automatically generates the parent block for multi module projects, and if it can't do this because one already exists, then it prints a log message which actually looks like an error.

[INFO] Parent element not overwritten in /private/tmp/sample-project/api/pom.xml

So I removed the parent blocks in the sub modules and let Maven create them.

In addition, Maven seems to have a problem with using properties, but it's not a problem since it can resolve them anyway and everything works out fine. Weird.

[WARNING] org.apache.velocity.runtime.exception.ReferenceException: reference : template = archetype-resources/pom.xml [line 48,column 42] : ${wicket.version} is not a valid reference.

So to make it even cleaner, I removed the properties and just set the versions on the artifacts.

cheers,