[Building Sakai] [Announcements] CLE Project Coordination Summary

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Jul 1 13:48:54 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 4:56 AM, Adrian Fish wrote:

> Got to ask why JGroups is seen as so risky in neochat? If neochat is disabled nobody will try it and it will just die; you may as well just put it out of its misery now.

Adrian,

I was one of the people that raised this.  When I say "risk", I simply mean that JGroups is an unknown from all perspectives.

Others pointed out that other uses of JGroups have had problems.  Of course those were different versions of JGroups and for different purposes.

The big issue was the tendency of JGroups to lose track of pals in the cluster and then reform their cluster as two clusters, resulting in the non-delivery of messages.   Even when those issues were brought up it was acknowledged that it may not longer be a problem.

It is just something to be mindful of and gain testing experience and perhaps just do some very explicit testing over the next few months.

At some point it was suggested (and I agree) that we get JGroups nice and clean and move it to Kernel after some experience.

So don't think of this as criticism - I think everyone wants it to work.

/Chuck