[Building Sakai] gradebook2: external tools (samigo/assignment) reported scores handling

Thomas Amsler tpamsler at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:06:04 PST 2011

In gradebook2, we are trying to determine how to handle scores
reported from external tools such as Samigo and Assignments.
Specifically, reported scores that are greater than the grade item's
max points.

e.g.
I setup a Samigo assessment with a total points of 100. A student
earns 100 points and the Instructor gives an adjustment of an
additional 10 points. So, Samigo reports that score as 110/100 to
gradebook2, using the gradebook service (edu-sevice). As a side note,
within Gradebook2, an Instructor cannot assign earned points that are
greater than the grade item's max points.

So let's assume that Samigo reported the following grades:

Quiz 1 : Total points = 100

Student A : 110/100
Student B : 87/100
Student C : 77/100

The problem that we are facing is as follows. How do we handle the
score that was submitted for "Student A" when we calculate statistics.
Let's assume that we have a letter grade gradebook. So the assigned
letter grades are:

Student A : 110/100 : A+
Student B : 87/100 : B+
Student C : 77/100 : C+

The calculation statistics uses points to calculate the statistics:

mean: 110 + 87 + 77  = 274 / 3 = 91.333..., which is an "A-". Is this
expected behavior? I would expect that the mean for (A+, B+, C+) to be
a B+, by just taking into account the letter grades and not the
points.

So I am wondering if the gradebook service (edu-service) should allow
external tools to report scores for grade items that are higher than
their total points?

Has anybody dealt with this issue?

Best,
-- Thomas