[Building Sakai] Does minIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource stil work?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Jan 3 01:07:46 PST 2011

Hi,

Yes, the behaviour did change somewhere along the way, I think as a
result of updating the version of dbcp or commons-pool used.

Regards
Stephen

--
Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
Email / IM (Jabber/XMPP): stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> Kenwrick Chan <kchan at hawaii.edu> 1/3/2011 10:29 AM >>>
Thanks Stephen,
Then I guess the behavior is different than 2.5.x.  With 2.5.x,

minIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=0
maxIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225
initialSize at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225
maxActive at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225

resulted in 225 connections, pretty much consistently.

-kenwrick

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Stephen Marquard <
stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za> wrote:

> Hi Kenwrick,
>
> As you've set minIdle to 0, it is working as configured. If you want
> higher number of connections at all times, then increase minIdle.
>
> But as there's a memory cost for each additional connection in
mysql,
> it seems better to let them die off than keep unused connections
around.

> Regards
> Stephen
>

> --
> Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
> Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
> http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
> Email / IM (Jabber/XMPP): stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
> Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

> Folks,
> We've just upgraded from sakai 2.5.x to sakai 2.7.1.  With 2.5.x if
> you
> wanted to have 225 database connection you'd put the following in
> sakai.properties.
>
> minIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=0
> maxIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225
> initialSize at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225
> maxActive at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=225
>
> This same settings doesn't appear to work with 2.7.1.  It starts out
> fine,
> but over time drops down significantly [which is very obvious now
> during the
> holiday break].  This is with mysq
>

> ###
> UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
>
> This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
> published on our website at
> http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable
from
> +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to
whom
> it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please
notify
> the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you
may
> not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this
e-mail
> is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in
the
> sender's individual capacity.
>
> ###

###