[Building Sakai] Asking for advice

Paul Mungai paulwando at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 22:36:09 PST 2011

> The tabs have no pedagogical value, indeed. They are a navigation element,
allowing users to switch from one space to the other.

> We probably wouldn't need to unpublish if customizing the tabs was easier.
Most users don't think of My Workspace > Preferences as the way to change
those tabs. A simple hovering of the mouse should offer the chance to
remove, move, or add new tabs by offering a contextual menu (a grip zone to
move, an "X" to remove, and a link to customize even more if desired, for
instance).

> CCing the UX list to get a sense of what's in store for Sakai 3.

My thought is, and I prove to be corrected,

The top navigation tabs should be generic to the tool they represent, and
not its implementation. For instance, if we had a top navigation tab that
reads courses, upon selection, one would be able to see all the courses that
they belong to, and maybe even indicate other details like permissions.
Another tool could be portfolio for the OSP, where one would see all the
portfolios that they are members. This I believe is more maintainable. Its
illogical to hide tabs because they clutter the screen. This suggestion may
not even need a drop down list, which is not even a very good option.

--
Regards,
Paul Mungai

Skype: pwando
Twitter: pwando
Facebook: paulwando
Blog: http://pmungai.wordpress.com
Flickr: http://bit.ly/b84lip

"Ability is what youre capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it" By Lou Holtz, Notre Dame Football
Coach