[Building Sakai] CLE/2x trunk: new pack project (replaces pack-demo)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Mon Feb 14 14:29:06 PST 2011

Up to now release archives (demo, bin but not src) were generated in part using the pack-demo pom located in the /sakai project.  The pack-demo pom uses the maven-antrun-plugin to generate *.tar.gz and *.zip archives.  If you run

cd sakai-trunk
mvn -Ppack-demo install

you generate four archives when, in most cases, all you want is one or at best two.  In addition, the bin tar and zip archives are incorrectly generated and don't explode properly in Tomcat (I've hacked around this in my build scripts).  It's all kinda dumb.

Over the weekend I split out the pack-demo and pack-bin ant tasks into separate modules, cleaned up the code and added a pack-src module under a new project called pack.   This project replaces the pack-demo pom and is now included in a trunk check out.  Other changes I detail in SAK-20055.

WHAT YOU MUST DO (CLE/2x developers)

If you have trunk checked out please perform an svn update:

cd sakai-trunk
svn update

and you'll pick up my commits between r88404-08.  That's all you have to do.

MAVEN PROFILES

I've added three new profiles to the Sakai base pom as well as a "skip-tests" profile in the pack base pom that you can activate if you find during development (like I did) that trunk tests are broken (i.e., gradebook).

cd sakai-trunk
mvn -Ppack-demo install  (no change here)

mvn -Ppack-bin install  (new)

mvn -Ppack-src install (new)

mvn -Ppack install (new; this will generate demo, bin and src artifacts)

you can also "chain" profiles by providing a comma-delimited list, as in:

mvn -Ppack-demo,skip-tests install

The resulting archives (including MD5 and SHA1 checksums) are saved to the appropriate /pack/pack-* folder.

None of this is terribly exciting but it does help simplify release work.  If you encounter any issues associated with this change please contact me.

I plan to merge this work to 2.8.x and back port it to 2.7.x.

Cheers,

Anthony