[Building Sakai] problem with the visibility of pictures when using the FCKeditor Resource Browser in Samigo

David C. Minugh David.Minugh at english.su.se
Wed Feb 9 00:31:08 PST 2011

Hi,

2¢ from an end-user: further thoughts.

Again as an end-user, I get the impression that many
large-scale operations can be solved via special
scripts. But they require input from people with a high
level of technical (programming) competence, well
beyond that of the average end-user. Moreover, they
involve the question of security (who can have access
to which levels of your SAKAI), which most end-users
don't want to (and shouldn't) be involved in.

What I'd like to see is a built-in awareness of whether
end-users would benefit from the ability to carry out
multiple parallel operations (within the technical and
resource limitations of developing SAKAI) within the
system, without tweaks and scripts.

> Yea, that's an interesting problem. The tools
> certainly don't change the visibility of the
> resources, and the FCKUploader just puts them in the
> default space. The professor would really need to
> know ahead of time to upload all of their images
> separately and put a release date on them, but this
> is something that nobody is going to do.
> Sakai doesn't have this special case though, it only
> has "read or not read (hidden)"

Yrs,

David C. Minugh                			E-mail: David.Minugh at english.su.se
Director of Studies	                        Tel: (+46) 8 16 36 11
English Department                      	Cell phone: (+46) 70 - 23 14 777
Stockholm University                    	Office: E 877, Frescati