[Building Sakai] Sakai OAE UI performance

N. Matthijs nicolaas.matthijs at caret.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 07:52:54 PST 2011

I'm sending out this e-mail to let people know that the UI has been
doing a bunch of UI performance improvements over the last
weeks. This included Image Sprites, CSS consolidation, JavaScript
and CSS concatenation (using requireJS), minification, removing
unused code, gzipping components, etc.

I want to congratulate the team for making all of that happen so
quickly, as I believe these changes will make a huge difference.

To support that claim, I've attached some screenshots of our
YSlow scores. On average, the score has gone up from 65/100
to about 90/100 and the average grade has gone up from D
to A (only 2 pages have a B now), which is a massive improvement.

The results also give us some ideas of what we can still improve in
the future, but I think this is a big step in the right direction.

Good job everyone!

Nicolaas