[Building Sakai] Two seperate issues with Assignments

Chris Ribble cribble at uwindsor.ca
Fri Dec 9 12:56:53 PST 2011

Hi,

We have run into another mysterious assignments problem and I just wanted
to see if anyone else has seen anything similar to this.

We had an instructor report that 3 students had submitted attachment-only
assignments but that there were no attachments in their submission. The
instructor also found a report in site stats that showed that each student
had successfully created/uploaded the attached files into the resources
section. Upon inspecting the database the files actually exist in the
content_resource table. I checked the assignment_submissions table and it
has their submission, submitted at the correct time, but without any
reference to an attachment. Does anyone have any theories on why this
happened or has anyone seen anything similar? There was also a draft saved
(automatically) as well in each students case.

Also, a few weeks ago I posted this question and I'm not sure if anyone
saw it:

We have come across what seems to be a bug in our 2.7.x environment. I
have been able to reproduce it on the Nightly2 QA Server as well.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create an assignment(any kind) and have students submit.
2. Download all submissions but do not grade or add grades to grades.csv.
3. Add feedback attachments for at least 1 student
4. Re-zip and Upload All.
5. Try to Release All Grades(just trying to release feedback since they
are all ungraded) from submission list and fail.

The Instructor can go into each submission one by one and still release
the feedback, but for 100 students that can become extremely tedious. Is
this the intended process for releasing feedback for students before
giving them a grade? What about assignments with the Ungraded
specification, the Instructor would have to grade and release each
submission, making upload all and download all pointless?

Any help on either issue would be great!

Thanks!
Chris

Chris Ribble
LMS Application Developer