[Building Sakai] Maximum simultaneous users

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri Aug 19 11:28:49 PDT 2011

The "load balanced thin client" idea is what most schools in production run
on, it's in this diagram here.

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Load+Balancing+and+Scaling

Basically you get a load balancer: hardware (like Cisco ACE, f5 big-ip,
Citrix Netscaler) or software (pound, ha-proxy) out in front distributing
the load to identical servers with sticky sessions. The servers each run one
(or multiple) tomcats and often are setup with Apache (or something faster
like lighttpd/nginx) in front to serve up the static content (or other
content tomcat can't support). Michigan uses Apache because we need some
modules only available in Apache and it's reliable.

The servers all have to be setup with a shared filesystem (NFS/AFS/SMB) and
connect to a shared database (which may be one machine or also clustered).
There isn't much information shared between the machines, and users sessions
remain on each node in the cluster. Events are passed with the *
ClusterEventTrackingService *(currently) and it looks like 2.9 will support
cluster chat with jgroups multicast (which would probably be great to get
rid of some of the events). All of the nodes maintain their own cache unless
you setup a cluster wide ehcache [1] (which we haven't done at Michigan) and
there's no session failover that's "easy" to setup, as it requires a
terracotta server (documented in [2])

Anyway, there's a lot of possibilities here. The easiest is to get a few
identical servers (virtual machines?) setup on a shared file system with a
load balancer in front of them and see where it goes from there. ;)

[1]
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SAKDEV/Sakai+Cluster-wide+Caching
[2]
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TERRA/Manual+Testing+of+Terracotta+Clustering+with+the+Wiley+Worksite+Setup+Tool