[Building Sakai] Maximum simultaneous users

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri Aug 19 09:27:04 PDT 2011

We're running across a 5 node cluster though, where each node only takes on
1/5 of the users. Putting all 9K users all on 1 system could cause
connection unresponsiveness if existing tomcat connections were still busy
when new requests came in, and couldn't complete fast enough to handle new
requests. There also are issues with database pool exhaustion which can be
improved by having multiple nodes.

There's no limit in Sakai for sure, but tomcat has limits, as does a
database, and you need to cluster both of these (or run it on faster
hardware with higher limits) to handle more users.