[Building Sakai] Current browser support

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Thu Aug 4 20:40:05 PDT 2011

Hi, Elizabeth.

Good question.  Here is our language at the moment (originally based on our Sakai 2.6 install -- we're moving to Sakai 2.8 next week):

"Supported Web Browsers
For the best experience with Courses (powered by Sakai), please use a supported Web browser. There are known issues with some Web browsers, such as Apple's Safari browser, so we encourage all users to use one of the supported browsers listed below.

Macintosh
* Firefox 3.x or higher

Windows
* Firefox 3.x or higher
* Internet Explorer 8.x or higher"

*****

My thanks to Matthew Jones for providing the earlier thread on the topic:
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Support-for-additional-browsers-td6224521.html

Based on that thread and Elizabeth's post, I may update our browser statement to "Tested Web Browsers" rather than "Supported Web Browsers."  I also appreciated reading that patches will be implemented for modern browsers.

With security, I need to update our notice to Firefox 3.6.x.  I wouldn't list Firefox 2.x or IE7, IMHO.

Anyway... not sure if anything here helps, Elizabeth.  Hope something does!

Sincerely,

Alan Regan, MFA
Manager, Technology and Learning
Information Technology