[Building Sakai] Neo portlet and Portal 2.9

csev csev at umich.edu
Thu Apr 28 10:21:22 PDT 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Tania Tritean wrote:

> We want to use neo portlet for some tools that we are building, and we want to use also the feature that it brings to hide the title of the tool.
> What I saw is that the portal was changed to read an attribute sakai-portal:suppresstitle from the tool session in order to decide if the title should be rendered or not.
>
> What I need is this:
> I have tool x and I want to add it in site A and Site B, but in site A I want to display the title and in site B without title.
> I want to do that without adding code in the tool x.
>
> So, I was thinking to add a new property to the tool when I add the tool in a site and change the portal to read from those properties not from tool session:
> -so to have something like
> Select site, add tools, select tool, add some special properties for the tool (like sakai-portal:suppresstitle = true).

What you are describing is a different feature.   The idea of a neo portlet was that the tool would decide on a request by request basis when a title should be displayed giving the tool control over some of the portal's markup.   Implicit in the notion was that they tool would take responsibility for displaying the reset, edit, and help buttons as well.   If a tool wanted to suppress the title forever, it could have its own configuration that it controlled.  The idea was to give a JSR168 portlet some control over the portal's markup so they could participate as peers.

The problem with a tool inside an iframe is that the portal markup does not get regenerated on every tool click - so it is not practical for the tool title to come and go.   It could be done with a Javascript call - but that could make the UI rather jumpy.   We already provide iframe tools with a way to minimize navigation through Javascript.

Having a tool property that suppresses the title line is a possible feature but you would need to understand that you have lost not just the title but also the reset and help buttons with no way to get those buttons back dynamically.

The property should not be on a site - it should be on a tool placement if we were to build it.

/Chuck