[Building Sakai] Sakai on Oracle 11.2 (11R2)

Martin B. Smith smithmb at ufl.edu
Wed Apr 20 07:40:50 PDT 2011

On 04/19/2011 04:01 PM, Roland Groen wrote:
> Hi all, Martin, Cheryl,
>
> I'm sorry to bother you this way; I've noticed you've been discussing
> the migration and testing of Oracle 11.2 on Sakai on the sakai-dev list
> and I'd like to ask you some questions about the subject.
>
> The University of Amsterdam is looking into upgrading their database
> servers to Oracle 11.2. They will be running Sakai 2.7.1. I'm curious
> about your experiences and findings. Did you end up running Oracle 11.2
> on your production environment? Are there any challenges you've run into
> that might be taken in consideration?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> --
> *Roland M.S. Groen*
> roland at edia.nl <mailto:roland at edia.nl>

Hi Roland & all,

Yes, we're currently running 2.6.x (with a handful of backported tools
from 2.7.x) on Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.2, with hopes to move to 11.2.0.5
soon). We're in the process of fully deploying Sakai 2.7.x and are
already in the testing phase against 11g R2 with it; we haven't seen any
major database issues though.

I think the biggest challenge has been adjusting various table & index
schemas, as well as adding more indexing to improve performance. There
were some tools that love to automatically do schema updates using JDBC,
and those had to be wrangled as well.

But I wouldn't say there's any show stoppers... let us know if you have
more questions. We have some proposed sessions at the LA conference that
cover some of this, too, if you're interested :).

Cheers,
--
Martin B. Smith
smithmb at ufl.edu - (352) 273-1374