[Building Sakai] ClassNotfound in a tool

Adrian Fish a.fish at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 01:57:30 PDT 2011

Hi Daniel,

Cheers,
Adrian.

On 15/04/2011 17:53, daniel.merino at unavarra.es wrote:
> When we started with Sakai 2.5 three years ago, there were two blogger
> versions, the 2.5 version and the post-2.5.
>
> Post-2.5 was based on Wicket and had better display and functionalities,
> so we chose it. Later, when official Blogger went out of the core tools,
> we though that we had taken the right choice. But it seems that nobody
> took it with us.
>
> Today we "survive" with post 2.5 because Blogger still remains deprecated
> and even if it was updated, there would not be DB migration scripts to
> return to it. And Clog, which in fact is based in the post 2.5 work, seems
> to be the future official tool but is not still widely used in production.
Clog bears some resemblance to post 2.5 UI wise but has far more
features and is architecturally very different. It's all browser
rendered for one and is a lot more responsive. It also works nicely with
profile2.
> Another good point is if it will be easy to migrate from Post 2.5 to Clog.
> It seems that all the migration efforts are pointed to the Blogger tool
> and telling our users that they must start from scratch and lose their
There is also migration code to copy data from Post 2.5, in fact that
was done first as we had loads of data in post 2.5 format. A point worth
stressing is that the data is copied, not moved and that you can still
leave post 2.5 installed and it will work alongside clog.
> And, answering the other question, after deploying it, in
> components/WEB-INF/lib there is only one jar: blog-tool-SNAPSHOT.jar . I
> don't have access to my test server now, is a name similar to this.
Ok, the profile activation code isn't working. This is something to do
with where you've placed the post 2.5 code. Test this by building with
this maven command:
mvn -PK1 clean install
> Regards.
>
> El Vie, 15 de Abril de 2011, 16:14, Seth Theriault escribió:
>> Daniel Merino wrote:
>>
>>> When deploying the blog post 2.5 tool, Maven doesn't copy
>>> sakai-kernel-util.jar to that folder, and this is why we have
>>> got this error.
>>>
>>> Now I'm searching how to make Maven automatically copy the jar
>>> in the deploy. The dependency is in the pom.xml, but it depends
>>> of a profile. I don't know too much about Maven, but I'll keep
>>> doing tests to fix the issue. Any idea?
>> Is there a particular reason why you are using the "post 2.5"
>> version of this tool (I assume you are referring to the post_2-5
>> branch)?
>>
>> I think the easiest thing to do is to use a newer version fo this
>> tool with your 2.7 deployment. Newer versions such as the 2.6 and
>> 2.7 branches depend on the kernel by default.
>>
>> Seth

==================================
Adrian Fish
Software Engineer