[Building Sakai] 2.8.0 mysql conversion script issues

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Apr 15 06:22:45 PDT 2011

Questions

1.  What version of MySQL are you using?
2.  What is your storage engine type?  If not InnoDB, change it to InnoDB.  The Sakai CLE requires transaction support.
3.  What OS?

In most varieties of UNIX, MySQL is case sensitive since the underlying operating system determines the case sensitivity of database and table names.  This is not the case for MySQL running in Windows, which is not case sensitive.  Previous MySQL conversion scripts contained a mixture of upper case and lower case statements which occasionally caused problems for upgraders; for 2.8 we opted for lower case for the syntax while leaving the table and field names upper case.  Testing on MySQL 5.1 did not reveal any issues with that choice.

Anyways, report back on the specifics of your MySQL installation.  We need more info before we can begin to diagnose your reported problem

Probably unrelated to your issue but users upgrading from MySQL 5.0 to MySQL 5.1 on a Mac have reported name comparison problems on startup.  This issue was solved by specifying the following property in a local my.cnf configuration file:

lower_case_table_names=1

A minimalist example:

[mysqld]
default-storage-engine=InnoDB