[Building Sakai] Sakai Behind Load Balancer

Leon Kolchinsky lkolchin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 18:33:28 PDT 2011

Hi,

I had a very similar configuration with Hardware Loadbalancer (accessed via
https) in front and 2 Sakai nodes behind it.
Sakai nodes (running Apache + mod_jk in front of Tomcat) accessed via http.

I think all you need is to add those 3 lines to your vhost config on the
nodes (I'm not using any "sakai.force.url.secure" settings):
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
JkHTTPSIndicator FakeHTTPS
SetEnv FakeHTTPS On

My vhost configuration:
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName vera067.m <http://vera067.its.monash.edu.au>ydomain.com
ServerAdmin Leon.Kolchinsky@ <Leon.Kolchinsky at its.monash.edu.au>mydomain.com
ServerAlias sakai-vre

# Just in case
DocumentRoot /srv/sakai

# if not specified, the global error log is used
ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/vera067.its.monash.edu.au-error_log
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/vera067.its.monash.edu.au-access_log combined
# don't loose time with IP address lookups
HostnameLookups Off
# needed for named virtual hosts
UseCanonicalName Off

# Add index.jsp to DirectoryIndex files
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml index.php4
index.php3 index.phtml index.cgi index.jsp

JkMount /* worker1

JkHTTPSIndicator FakeHTTPS
SetEnv FakeHTTPS On

</VirtualHost>