[Building Sakai] Sakai runs in Tomcat 7

David Wafula davidwaf at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:52:26 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I ran an experiment today in getting Sakai trunk up and running in Tomcat
> 7. Turns out it was easier than expected. The only modification required is
> to the Tomcat config to restore the 'classic' layout:
>
> http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/04/07/sakai-runs-in-tomcat-7/

Hi Steve,

Good news indeed. I got it to run  under  the following:

1. Tomcat 7.0.12
2. Sakai 2.8.x (build from svn)
3. Java Version 1.6.0_24
4. Ubuntu 10.10
5. Maven2

The only other thing i had to do besides following your blog post was to
copy commons-el.jar to to commons/lib,  as i was getting this in the logs:

SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of
class org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/el/Logger

And memory min for java 1024.

I have not logged into the system, yet, I just done my silly stupid dance
when the portal displayed. I will  (and my colleagues) probably  comb every
feature and report back how it is going.

Regards

--
David Wafula