[Building Sakai] adding provided users as local users

Casey Dunn caseyd.stan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:02:16 PDT 2010

Use a quartz job to call a webservice on each member of the server pool.
Pretty brute force...
By scanning ur event table u cld even build a population of heavy users and
tune ur cache pop.
Wldnt failover in ldap be cheaper?

- sent from my android device
On Sep 29, 2010 1:16 PM, "John Bush" <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:
> yeah, I've been thinking about this. The one issue is that the
> cache's occur on every app server, so you can use quartz to do this
> b/c there isn't a way to get a job to run on every app server in a
> reoccurring way. But I think there are other ways, worth thinking
> about some more. Basically a persistent cache would do it.
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Aaron Zeckoski <azeckoski at unicon.net>
wrote:
>> If you have the user ids in Sakai already then you can prime the cache
>> by calling getUser() for every valid membership in the system (or
>> every userId in the user ID-EID mapping file if you want to keep it a
>> little simpler). This won't do you any good if the users never were
>> entered in the system somehow but that's probably unlikely for many
>> Sakai installs.
>>
>> -AZ
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM, John Bush <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:
>>> funny you say that, as that is our backup idea.  The one thing I'm
>>> worried about with that solution is that users that haven't
>>> authenticated or accessed via a getUser(s) call wouldn't exist.  I'm
>>> not sure how bad a problem that is, I'm worried there might be bits of
>>> code that might not like users suddenly disappearing.

would be to add a table under the control of your provider.  Each time sakai
calls the provider about a user, your provider would update the entry in the
table.  Then if LDAP failed, it would just use the info from that table.
 Just an idea.