[Building Sakai] How to use web service with HTTPS protocol ?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Sat Sep 18 06:46:34 PDT 2010

This error is because of the unsecured certificate.

Read this [1] and use the program attached to the article (InstallCert.java)
to add your servers cert to your local keystore (and then you'd add *
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/home/user/jssecacerts **to your JAVA_OPTS). I
actually goes out to the remote server you specify and adds all of the
certificates it needs. The only thing I've ever found that seems to work
reliably.*

This guide for setting up confluence has some tips to test it out with
openssl and a java app called "SSLPoke". You keep running it with either
this JAVA_OPT or adding it to the global keyStore until you don't get the
error anymore.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+SSL+services

If you had a signed SSL, it would already be in the default certs and you
wouldn't have this problem.

[1] http://blogs.sun.com/andreas/entry/no_more_unable_to_find